Re: Fluorescent Bulbs Are Known to Zap Domestic Tranquillity; Energy-Savers a Turnoff for Wives

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 14:04:29 -0400, "Robert Green"
<ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<EfSdnWtUi4FiqqvbnZ2dnUVZ_hSdnZ2d@xxxxxxx>:

>FWIW, my N-vision CFL floodlight has begun to take a very long time to
>warm up and appears never able to reach its initial brightness level.
>Too bad, because it looked like a real winner at first.  My wife wants it
>gone from the kitchen!  I concur.  Slow warmup is really, really annoying
>when you want to look at something right away.

ROTFL   Whenever this newsgroup is on the verge of losing its appeal, we
get treated to one of these howlers ;-)

Ya gotta luv it.

On the physics of the matter, all incandescents, including halogens, and
all fluorescents, compact or not, put out less light with time.
Fluorescents can be much worse than incandescents so one might need to
take this into consideration in sizing the lamp.

On the implied "I didn't get the lumens I paid for" note that in a
initially put out more than their advertised output wrt the reference
incandescent I used.

These are practical considerations that may affect how beloved CFLs are or
are not and where to use them (or not).

The thigh-slapper comes when one compares the hand wringing about the
sacrifices and draconian measures needed (which FWIW I think are largely
'on the money' if you can pardon the pun ;-) and the endless proscriptions
and prescriptions and judgmental declarations about what _other_ folks
should do, and the changes and sacrifices and changes in life-style that
will be required (I agree) with HOW LITTLE FOLKS ARE ACTUALLY WILLING TO
SACRIFICE !

So hip hyp hooray! I think we can officially add the fourth "hyp*"  to
"hippo-talk" ;-)

On a positive note /spin, advertisers could use a variation on the "This
salmon won't turn pink in the can" ruse.

"Don't be blinded by those old-fashioned, instant-on bulbs. These special
lamps ramp up slowly, obviating the need for expensive dimmers that need
complicated programming."

The instant-gratification generation would gobble it up ;-)

...Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org