Re: Fluorescent Bulbs Are Known to Zap Domestic Tranquillity; Energy-Savers a Turnoff for Wives

>> My problem is with those that introduce doubt
>> that CFLs are a useful technology for retrofitting
>> the millions of Edison base light fixtures that
>> exist across the world. Fear mongering about
>> light quality, mercury and other quibbles will
>> keep thousands from adopting this simple method
>> of reducing man's footprint on Earth.
>
> I suggest you actually take the time to read
> the thread before making such wild accusations
> about what has been said...

He obviously did read the thread.  His statement
is correct -- not a wild accusation at all.  Bobby and
you have ignored the facts (and common sense).

> I don't believe anyone has said that CFLs don't
> save electricity. What has been said is that they
> are not the panacea...

Actually, Bobby G has repeatedly insisted that
CFLs create more problems than they solve. That
is absurd.

> that proponents claim...

No one is claiming CFLs are a panacea.  They
are one good step in the right direction.

> and that there are other steps that can save far
> more energy without forcing people to do what
> many, many millions have freely chosen not to
> do in the nearly 30 years...

Your suggestion was to ban air conditioning.
That would save electricity but I suspect you'd
get a bit more public resistance there than to
using CFLs.

> that CFLs have been available...

Most people don't even know what they are.

> Most of the distortion and fear mongering...

Have come from you and Bobby G.

> I think forcing everyone to use CFLs...

That's a perfect example.  No one is trying
force you to use FCFL's.  Some efforts are
aimed at reducing or eliminating conventional
bulbs.  CFL's are but one alternative.

> Given that the polar ice is melting much
> faster ... a 1-2% reduction in electricity use
> is inconsequential.

This is typical resistant blather.  Because the
problem is large we shouldn't take small steps
to reduce it.  It's the equivalent of telling a
starving man that because food is a whole mile
away he shouldn't start walking.

> The problem is that most "environmentalists"
> long ago decided "if you can't beat them, join
> them"...

That's utter nonsense.  The problem is that the
current administration has put incompetent,
industry-allied vermin in charge of every federal
agency.  Government scientists have been told
not to even attend global conferences without
permission on pain of losing their jobs.  Bush
has unilaterally derailed the EPA, broken the
Kyoto treaty (along with just about every other,
including the Geneva Convention).

> EPA which, when founded in 1970, was
> supposed to "save the planet" but has morphed
> into the Enterprise Protection Agency.

It didn't morph by itself.  It was beheaded by
Bush.

> Consumer Reports recently tested new "energy
> star" washing machines and found that unless
> you pay for top-of-the-line models ($1000), you'll
> be wearing dirty clothes, as the less expensive
> models don't do a good job of getting the dirt out.

Good stuff usually costs more than junk.  The problem
with CR is they only test one sample of each product.
They occasionally get a lemon while the rest of the
production is good.  They also occasionally get one
good item that's a fluke -- the rest of the units fail.
For example, many years ago we bought a Tappan
range, double oven and fridge after reading favorable
reports in CR.  All but the ovens gave us nothing but
trouble.  We had to replace the fridge and range in
less than five years.

> It sounds like the low flush toilet all over again
> and will likely lead to more not less energy use.

You make the comparison but show no facts to
support it.  That is misleading.  You introduce doubt
without reason.  This is the self-same tactic used
in the "Republican War on Science." (apologies to
Chris Mooney).

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass