Re: Alarm monitoring service like ucontrol that uses DSC native communication hardware?

> Ucontrol seems like it has a nice feature set, but I don't
> really like the fact that it uses add-on hardware. Does
> anyone offer a similar service compatible with DSC's IP
> interface (and dial for backup)?

Absolutely.  Try 911.alarm.com for a start.  Several of my
DIY customers use them and have spoken well of them.
They are competititively priced, charging homeowners
only a few dollars more per month than what the dealers
pay.

Many alarm companies mark up the monitoring (which
is farmed out anyway) by as much as 2,000%.  One large
nation-wide monitoring service charges alarm dealers
$2 per account per month.  The service is resold for
anywhere between $20 and $40 per month (nice margin).

> On a related note, does anyone have suggestions for
> obtaining the 'installer' code for the alarm? It's not the
> default from the manual, and I don't want to reset and
> re-program the alarm.

Jim Rojas (posts here all the time) is a decent guy who
offers a service to default alarm panels.  Unfortunately,
you'd then need to reprogram the whole panel.  On the
plus side, DSC panels aren't hard to program.

Another alternative is to replace the main board.  They
are not expensive.  If you sign up for monitoring, some
companies will program your panel as a courtesy.
Don't overlook local alarm dealers either.  Although
there are some bad apples, most are honest and you
may be able to get someone to help you just to win
your business.  Whatever you do, make certain they
state *in writing* that they will give you all of the codes
they program into the system.  Otherwise, you may be
right back where you started some day.

I sell DSC though I'm not fond of it.  A lot of people
who already have DSC systems call asking for parts.
I'd offer to provide a board but it sounds like you're
not too thrilled at the prospect of  programming it.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics