Re: Roomba DirtDog

"E. Lee Dickinson" <lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> We've got a Roomba Discovery, and love it. Have been considering a dirt
dog
> for the shop space, maybe one for my small warehouse at work.
>
> How do you think it'll do with screws and workshop detritus?

After a week the main problem seems to be that I have to work in concert
with it, opening doors (so it can clean behind them) and moving things
around.  It still leaves stuff in the corners - might have to look into mods
that change that behavior.  Still beats vacuuming and sweeping myself,
though!

The dust bin catch also tends to open at the worst times.  It got stuck
under the bed, I pulled it out, the dust bin came off in my hand and spewed
yuck all over the side of the bed.  I'll have to be more careful or add a
latch mod.  Would be great if it had a wireless cam and a light, but I am
sure some kid at CMU had already added stereo vision!

Those brushes have to be cleaned nearly every run to keep it cleaning.  Any
sort of wire, cord or string had seriously bad effects, especially if it
gets wrapped around the wheel axle.   It managed to climb into the center of
a coil of coax and drag it around until its batteries died without doing
much cleaning.  Otherwise, its sensors (and it's got lots of them right down
to a caster painted half black/half white to easily detect rotation) keep it
in check.  If it lasts the month, I will buy one for the main floor, too.
It really makes a difference and has VERY high SAF.  Highest I've seen for a
HA geek stuff in a long time!

--
Bobby G.