Re: one wire sensors

Marc_F_Hult wrote:

> On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 13:12:14 GMT, Jeff <dont_bug_me@xxxxxx> wrote in message
> <Ocrji.5158$zA4.3511@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>

>>  I'd like to control ventilation and some other household functions
>>with some kind of home automation. I'd like to be able to track temp and
>>humidity in various parts of the house also. I have some knowledge of
>>programming, electronics and making circuit boards for that matter (not
>>that I want to make any circuit boards)!
>>
>>  Not knowing much about this, here is what I'm thinking and please
>>feel free to tell me what is crap!
>>
>>  I've seen these one wire sensors. That would seem to me the way to go
>>but I'm unsure how this interfaces with the automation. How does this
>>work? Can this be interfaced with any of the STAMP modules that are
>>available?
>>
>>  The way I picture this is that one wire sensors feed the STAMP (or
>>other automation control) and that is interfaced to a home PC. Is that
>>about right or are these things best done otherwise?
>>
>>  How is the programming handled? I've seen mention of Ada and C on the
>>STAMP level.
>>
>>  Jeff
>

> I'd be wary of _depending_ on Dallas / Maxim 1-wire for new applications.

Ouch.

   I suppose that if you put the logic near the sensor then you are less
needing of the capability of one wire.

> The Applications Engineer for the 1-Wire and iButton Groups wrote me : " It
> is correct that the DS2890 was recently assigned a NRFND status.  Our
> customer base on this product is very small and ongoing R&D investment is
> large and prohibitive to convert the 6" wafer based design to an 8"
> wafer equivalent that is necessary to continue production in our wafer fabs.
> Our EOL strategy for this device is to build a supply of product that will
> provide a 5yr to 7yr supply to existing customers. "
>

> Nonetheless, I've developed a family of pcboards that provide signal
> conditioning, power supply and analog, digital, and 1-wire connectivity for
> what I call THOL (Temperature, Humidity, Occupancy and Lighting). They are
> designed to fit in single gang switch box for wall or ceiling mounting, are
> connected to a multiplexor at one or more central locations for logging via
> DMX, 1-wire and PC-PCI 16-bit AD converters.

That sounds pretty nice.

Have you done anything with picaxe?

   It looks like that should handle the DMX also. Thanks for the tips.

   I'm trying to go solar here. I've got a fairly large solar air heater
on the south wall and am working on 120 ft2 of solar water. When I have
some more time I'd like to run a dessicant solar AC. All of that needs
some logic, some logging and some adjusting! Probably lots of adjusting.

   I'm thinking now of a picaxe for each device and a DMX cable back to
another picaxe for logging and master control:

but I'm not crazy about that idea!

Wonder what it would take to write to a USB memory stick as I see that
picaxe can read to USB, but I don't know about the reverse. Could import
the data to a PC later and sort it all out later, though I see that
timestamping is not trivial.

   I expect the first boards back
> in a week or so. If I like the  prototypes, I may put together a large order.
>
> Most HA systems are not very good at data logging (checking, interpreting,
> representing, and storing data). This system is designed to address that need
> in a robust and redundant way.

   From the little I've looked into it, I can see that's a big complex
problem. I suppose it would be easier to dump it off to a PC to process
and store but that negates the whole high availabilty, low power
concept. This gets hard fast!

> I'll post more later to my web site ... Marc

   Thanks!

   I thought my 1920 house was old (I peeked through your site!)!

   Cheers,
Jeff