one wire sensors

   I'd like to control ventilation and some other household functions
with some kind of home automation. I'd like to be able to track temp and
humidity in various parts of the house also. I have some knowledge of
programming, electronics and making circuit boards for that matter (not
that I want to make any circuit boards)!

   Not knowing much about this, here is what I'm thinking and please
feel free to tell me what is crap!

   I've seen these one wire sensors. That would seem to me the way to go
but I'm unsure how this interfaces with the automation. How does this
work? Can this be interfaced with any of the STAMP modules that are
available?

   The way I picture this is that one wire sensors feed the STAMP (or
other automation control) and that is interfaced to a home PC. Is that
about right or are these things best done otherwise?

   How is the programming handled? I've seen mention of Ada and C on the
STAMP level.

   Jeff