Re: New Problem -- Cannot Control SOme Devices

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 20:46:40 -0400, Johnnie wrote:

> All of a sudden, I can not control several devices from my Active Home
> controller.  Normally, this would indicate a problem bridging the 2 sides of a
> 220V line but I had no trouble for over 4 years and this just started.  I also
> have the home security system (which handles the wireless controllers) and
> several wired controllers and none of them have any problems getting to all
> the devices!
>
> Any troubleshooting suggestions?

If you can't control _anything_ with your AH controller, it may have
died.  But if it's just certain devices, think about any electronic
equipment you may recently have acquired (TV, DVD player, Cell phone
charger, etc.) which has a switchmode power supply.

Many of these devices will introduce noise on the powerline or
have heavy capacitive filtering ("signal sucker") which will
attenuate the X10 signals.  To test, unplug suspected devices from
the wall - merely turning them off isn't sufficient.

If you identify an offending device, get an X10 noise filter and
plug it in between the device and the wall socket.