Good Home Automation Guide for New Constructions?

I've been trying to find a good guide on the internet for putting home
automation into a new construction.  Specifically, I'm trying to
figure out:

- Whether I should wire for home automation (specifically surveillance
and security), or use wireless products

- What wired/wireless products are "good".  I'm not looking to spend a
fortune, but I'd like to be able to expand and replace as time goes
on.

-Is there one "good" brand for thermostat, lighting, security,
surveillance, etc.  Every website I've found is trying to sell x10 or
insteon, but it's hard to tell if they are any good, or if a wired
solution would be better.

I'm really not trying to get the people in this group to do my legwork
for me.  I'd just like some general nudging to a good site that isn't
trying to push me toward their products.

Thanks,

Mildog