Re: Best brand coax and F connector for HD cable?

"Captain Preshoot" <invalid@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> In article <lnoh-1033D3.00404202012007@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> lnh
> <lnoh@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>>In article <lkgep2dlnti1q6o350m8oak0pegt1in6m2@xxxxxxx>,
>> Roger <GetValidAddress@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> As to how well  the foil and braid works; I run the cable through
>>> conduit with the cables for my ham station.
>
> Horribly bad practice! Running coaxial cable through metallic conduit will
> change the impedance. Also running transmitter coax alongside receive coax
> in the same cable bundle is a fool's bet and assumes zero VSWR on the
> transmitting antenna. You may be an old-timer, but I've been around the
> track a number of times myself and can tell you, unequovically, what
> you're doing is wrong.
>
> ---
> Cap'n Preshoot
> Ex. P1-17-11478 (retired comm'l broadcast engr)

The characteristic impedance of a cable is a function of the dimensions of
the center conductor and the distance to the inside of the shield and the
dielectric constant of the material in between.  The energy is contained
within the dielectric.  Running the cable in a metal conduit should have no
effect at all, assuming the shield is complete.