Re: 24 guage wire

Robert L Bass wrote:
> The usual goal of doubling the conductors is to increase ampacity,
> which has a more linear relationship to diameter than to cmil area.
> IOW, two 24-gauge wires bonded together give you approximately the
> same ampacity as one 21-gauge wire.  Four 24-gauge wires will carry
> approximately the same current as one 18-gauge wire.

Increasing ampacity is a poor reason to use multiple conductors of this
size. I assume the OP was referring to something like cat5 cable. I am
hesitant to allow more that 500 mA on communications cable like cat5.

If you need additional current carrying capacity then use the proper
wire for that purpose.

In any case the overall ampacity of more than 3 insulated conductors in
a cable or raceway must be derated.

A good reason to "tie four 24 gauge conductors together" is to reduce
voltage drop.

Here are some nice tables:

www.interfacebus.com/Copper_Wire_AWG_SIze.html
xtronics.com/reference/wire_gauge-ampacity.htm