Re: HAI OMNI PRO II Light switches

>I want to control mostly lights and scenes
> with this HA unit. I already have it. When
> I went to their  website they recommend
> upb switches and dimmers. Only problem
> is that these switches sell on average for
> $80...

We sell UPB dimmers for just under $72.  Switches run about $31.

> Are these things worth it?

They cost a bit more than Z-Wave, which is another viable option.  The two technologies use different protocols but can accomplish
the same task.

> The unit will apparantly control x10 too.
> I hear a lot of bad things about x10 though.

X10 has been around for many years.  It works but you may need to tweak it a bit to keep it functioning. You may need filters,
signal boosters, repeaters, etc., to make it reach all parts of the home and to avoid having the X10 signal sucked up by things like
PC power supplies. Some believe X10 offers the best bang/buck ratio.  Others dislike it, pointing out the amount of attention it
requres to keep it going as well as the low quality hardware that X10 and several other X10 look-alikes make.

I don't use it because I want my system to work without forcing the homeowner to keep adding gear just to keep it running.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics