Re: Time for HA, finally. Thinking Insteon. Mulling this for 20 years. What is best?

"Greg" <gharrison2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> CFLs can render both X-10 and Insteon useless.
>
>Is this because they do not dim?  Or do they interfere with the
>signaling somehow?

Many put out noise which block both X-10 and Insteon. Others filter that
noise but also filter X-10 and Insteon.

>> >hot water heater
>>
>> Why?
>
>To maybe save on electricity costs: http://www.smarthome.com/1289.HTML

I think the key word is "maybe".

>> >Responsive to sensor signals
>>
>> Depends on the sensors. You need to be more specific.
>
>For instance: an outside motion sensor might turn on an internal light
>(wish it had a little more intelligence).  Water sensor might turn on
>dehumidifier and blink a light.

There are some third party products that provide for IO using Insteon. See
the Smarhome Insteon products section. I'm not familiar with the details.

AFAIK, Marrick discontinued the only X-10 IO board a few years ago.

>> I would probably opt for Insteon
>
>Sounds good, also it does not directly connect to the internets as the
>HPCC stuff might, which sounds a little safer.

I'm fairly sure there will be a firewall between HPCC and BPL.

http://davehouston.net