Re: Time for HA, finally. Thinking Insteon. Mulling this for 20 years. What is best?

"Greg" <gharrison2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>was waiting for CeBus, but that petered out. Meanwhile X10 kept going,
>and going.  Then this Insteon system popped up, with the Powerlinc
>controller that does not require an always-on PC.  Could do the PC, but
>maybe that powerlinc is good enough.  What do you suggest?
>
>Goals:
>
>lighting control, mainly
>fluorescent and incandescent, eventual LED

CFLs can render both X-10 and Insteon useless.

>hot water heater

Why?

>GUI, but downloadable to a controller

Either X-10 or Insteon can meet this requirement. I think Insteon's
controllers may have more memory7. The software available for configuring
and downloading is equally abysmal for either system.

>Reliable across phases, low susceptibility to powerline noise

Insteon uses RF to couple the phases. It's simpler and more reliable than
standard X-10. Both are susceptible to powerline noise (see above re CFLs).

>Not susceptible to external signals, nor emanating to other homes

As far as operating your lights and appliances, Insteon is immune to outside
signals. It is not immune to jamming from a continuous signal whether RF or
PLC. X-10 is susceptible to outside signals and interference.

>As reliable as a plug-in light timer

Both Insteon and X-10 are far more reliable.

>Randoming

I'm not sure whether either can do this when operating standalone. I really
don't use their controllers as they intend them so can't answer specific
questions like this.

>Responsive to sensor signals

Depends on the sensors. You need to be more specific.

>Time of day/available sunlight ephemeris

Could you rephrase this in plain English? If you mean dawn/dusk, both
systems do this. I think X-10 requires you to download a table annually
(maybe the CM15A does this internally?) - I don't know how the Insteon
controllers handle it. It's a simple calculation that's well within the
capabilities of the microcontrollers used.

>Longevity for good future expansion

Your guess is as good as any.

>There are a few desired capabilities.  How would you satisfy them?
>X10, Insteon, something else?

I would probably opt for Insteon and hope they "live long and prosper". Some
third party devices are beginning to appear but there have been some
stumbles and the designer has a poor track record.

Or I would wait to see how HomePlug Command and Control (HPCC) fares. It
should be more reliable but also more costly. The alliance has also
fragmented so there are now 3 (at last count) competing "standards" in this
area.

http://davehouston.net