Re: automated vent registers?

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 09:57:42 -0500, "Bill Kearney" <wkearney-99@hot-mail-com>
wrote in message  <Lqydnc-qGPFK6UnYnZ2dnUVZ_veinZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>> Anyone tried or seen these:
>>
>http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A3737581%2Cp_4%3ASPRINGFIELD%20PRECISION%20INSTRUME
>

>What's interesting is it appears to just use two contacts and reverses DC
>voltage (from two AA batteries) to toggle the grate.  Could be an
>interesting unit to hack for external control...

<snip>

Bill,

Good find!

1) I read you to write that 3 vdc to the motor opens the vent, and 3 vdc with
opposite polarity closes.

2) What's your reckoning as to how long these might last? My application
would be primarily to shut rooms ON or OFF for days at a time rather than
multiple open-close daily to regulate temperature relative to other rooms
(within the constraints of bypass, loading etc.). But I would want it to last
for years -- no fuss no muss. So overly thin metal parts like small coil
springs that can weaken with corrosion over time and the motor itself owing
to thickened lubricants and dirt might be the limiting factors rather than
rocker/bearing surfaces.

3) Any obvious reason why they wouldn't be paintable with latex paint?

TIA ...  Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org