automated vent registers?

Anyone tried or seen these:

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A3737581%2Cp_4%3ASPRINGFIELD%20PRECISION%20INSTRUME

I saw some sold under the "Vent Miser" label at a local hardware store.  But
I've not been able to find more information or manuals for them online
anywhere.  Before I go shell out that much for a gizmo I'd like to hear if
anyone else has had any luck with them.

Then of course the next question is where can they be had for a good price?
It'd be interesting to see if they're hackable to be controlled externally.

And how did these vents come to be named "registers" anyway?

-Bill Kearney