Re: Snow load evaluation

"AZ Woody" <reply@here> wrote in message
news:45d29d5f$0$10311$815e3792@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Simple solution here!
>
> Step outside and look!
>
> Hey..  I grew up in "snow load" areas..  Look at the roof and say "darn!
>   I need to do something!"

There are some situations that come immediately to mind as to why that's not
always an option.  One is a summer home in the snow belt that's unoccupied
during the winter.  Another is an occupant too disabled to get very far out
of the house in a severe snow storm.   A third would be a situation where
you had to shovel 20 cubic yards of snow just to stand far enough away to
*see* the roof.   A homeowner might have to decide to unload the roof before
clearing the walkways, especially if there's limited snow removal capacity
(bad heart, etc.) and a roof full of heavy snow and ice.

I guess the real reason I want some sort of detection capability is that I
believe a smart home should be truly smart.  YOU would know if someone had
put something so heavy on your back it would break your spine but your
dwelling wouldn't know if it was about to suffer a similar calamity.
Besides, I like to collect data because it often gives advance warnings of
trouble.  F'rinstance, I use a clock setting utility that also graphs the
day-to-day drift of the PC clock.  The other day, I noticed it was drifting
*way* out of bounds.  That told me the PC CMOS battery was probably failing
and I was right.  I was able to replace it before it lost the CMOS settings,
which can screw some PC's up pretty badly.

--
Bobby G.