Re: Snow load evaluation

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 11:58:05 -0500, "Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote (with possible editing):

>Anybody doing anything automated in terms of detecting an excessive snow
>load on a structure's roof?   I saw a news report about upstate NY where a
>guy said "when your doors begin to stick, that's when it's time to clear the
>snow off the roof.  It's good to know one of the warning signs but surely
>there's got to be a better way!

You could put stress gauges on the roof rafters, but you'd still have the
problem of calibration.  There are just too many variables - rafter size, rafter
spacing, decking, shingle material, water content of the snow, ice, etc - to be
able to do this in advance.

--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com