Re: Refrigerator monitor ideas?

"B Fuhrmann" <b-fuhrmann-usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote

<stuff snipped>

> Public TV had a special on about a crash of a British jet that ran into
> another while taking off because the pilot (who happened to be the chief
> training officer) was really intent on getting home after the airport had
> been shut down due to weather.  He ended up getting onto the runway
without
> proper clearance (ignoring the copilots complaints about the flagrant rule
> violation) and hitting a plane that was landing.

That was really remarkable and bolstered my belief that automated solutions
are usually better than checklists.  He was their *superstar* most senior
pilot with the best safety record of all their flyers!  Like any other
disaster, a lot of things went wrong at once.  A terrorist threat, layover
rules, impatient captains, meek copilots, tower personal listening to a
soccer match, too much fuel and a very unusual fog all came together like a
Steven King plot.

> They discussed the change in the hierarchy policies that came after that
so
> that the removed the "chain of command" attitude between the two pilots
and
> made the copilot into additional eyes and brain power for the pilot
instead
> of just a back up flunky.

Oh, I forgot there was one more important cause.  The plane they hit had
missed third turnout in the fog because it was marked poorly and was much
tighter than the other turnouts.  I'll bet that junior copilots still kowtow
to super senior guys - especially those in their rating chain of command.
(-:

--
Bobby G.