Re: Refrigerator monitor ideas?

"Robert L Bass" <no-sales-spam@bassburglaralarms> wrote in message
news:y7CdnUV9l4NskFnYnZ2dnUVZ_h6vnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > When the clog does form, water no
> > longer reaches the rear hose nor the
> > evaporator pan on the floor...
>
> Bingo!  Here's a simple solution.  Rig a small, loosely covered cup to the
end of the drain hose.  Install a moisture detector in
> the cup and another in the pan.  Any time there is water in the pan but no
water in the cup there's a problem.

That's a very good idea.  The only problem I see is that the ice dam may be
forming even though there's still flow to the pan on the floor.  If that's
true, and a mere reduction in flow is enough to cause a backup into the coil
area, there would still be water in the cup and in the tray, but the volumes
would likely be severely reduced.

In the meantime, I'm going to freeze down a CMOS camera and some white LEDs
to see if they'll survive in the coil area.   The box is still mostly empty
and the panels are still unscrewed so I can get to the coils and run some
tests.

I suspect that this will end up solved by using an easier to remove winged
screw and inspecting the connecting elbow more frequently.  But what's the
fun in that?  One hundred years from now, truly smart homes will take care
of all of these issues without involving Rube Goldberg!

--
Bobby G.