Re: Good Home Automation Guide for New Constructions?

> Thanks, Bill and Robert!  I'm still trying to work through both of
> your posts, and you've given me a lot to think about.  Some quick
> things off the top of my head:

You're most welcome.

> * I am definitely going to put in structured wiring, though I'm not
> sure what I'm going to use the additional pairs for.

The 4-pair and coaxial wiring that make up the bulk of a structutred cabling system are designed to carry phone, data, surveillance
and entertainment signals.  Each system has different uses for the various conductors but they're all needed for *something*.

> * My house isn't going to be anything monstrous (around 3400 sf.  when
> all is said and done), but we're going to be there for at least 10
> years, so I'm doing the HA mostly for myself instead of for resale.

That's long enough to enjoy payback from many of the things you can to make the home operate more economically while

> *I'll definitely look into CQC. That sounds what I'm looking for for
> overall control.

While you're at it, consider combining CQC with a stand-alone controller such as HAI Omni or ELK-M1G.  Those offer security, fire
alarm, CO detection, etc., none of which are usually part of a PC-centric solution.

> One question.  the "bugs" for windows and doors - would you recommend
> a wired or wireless solution?

If it's under construction, definitely go with wired sensors.  The same is true of motion, glass break and most other types of
sensors.  You'll save a lot of $$ and the system will require less service.

> Thanks a ton....I'm sure I'll be a regular here while I try to get my
> head around it.

Even once you're up and running, do stick around.  There will be others who will enjoy reading about what you've learned along the
way.  Just be aware that while most of us are here either because we enjoy this stuff, we sell this stuff or both (like me:)), a few
hang around only to harass.  You'll quickly realize who the contributors are and who the umm, others are.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics