Re: Will this work for dimming 12V Halogen?

Randy "Brick" MacKenna wrote:

> Before I spend over $100 on this one circuit, do you think this
> combination will work?  Anyone have any similar experience/success
> that they can share?

Leviton green line X-10 dimmers are rated for incandescent and magnetic
low-voltage loads:

www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10295&minisite=10024

I think some of the PCS and Lightolier dimmers can also handle magnetic
low-voltage loads.

 > Now the trick for me will be to find an x10 or Insteon inductive
 > dimmer that also fits into an existing legacy switchplate.  I don't
 > have room for a Decora style footprint (unless I redo the entire gang
 > in that box).

The "footprint" in the box is about the same for decora and toggle style
devices. The only difference is the wall plate. All X-10 capable
products from Leviton, Smarthome, PCS and Lightolier are about the same
size behind the wall plate.

If you don't have room for the X-10 device in the wall box you could
relocate it to the transformer location.