Re: Will this work for dimming 12V Halogen?

>>> As long as you use a magnetic transformer any X10 dimmer should be
>>> fine. I have this setup in my home and have no problems.

>B Fuhrmann wrote:
>> Absolutely NOT!
>>
>> By deffinition any transformer is magnetic.
>> "A transformer is a device that transfers electrical energy from one
>> circuit to another through inductively coupled wires. A changing
>> current in the first circuit (the primary) creates a changing
>> magnetic field; in turn, this magnetic field induces a changing
>> voltage in the second circuit (the secondary). "
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer
>> There are a LOT of X10 dimmers out there that ARE NOT rated for
>> inductive loads.
>>
>> Solid state dimmers operate by turning the power off for part of the
>> power cycle.  Inductive loads create large spikes if this is not done
>> exactly at the right time.  The dimmer needs to be designed to absorb
>> those spikes without self destructing or overheating.

"bruceR"  wrote ...
> What I meant by magnetic is non-switching.

Then your statement at the top is still wrong.

Anything using a non-transformer power supply (doesn't matter if it is
switching or analog) cannot be dimmed prior to the supply.

Anything using a transformer should only be dimmed with a dimmer that is
rated for use with inductive loads.

--
Bill Fuhrmann