Re: Occupancy detection

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 08:53:40 -0400, "Bill Kearney" <wkearney-99@hot-mail-com>
wrote in message  <z7WdnRUYYaZFISTbnZ2dnUVZ_gmdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>> I don't want anyone to be able to press ALL LIGHTS OFF in one part of the
>> house while a person is descending the stairs in another.
<snip>

>I'm guessing it'd be far too much work trying to come up with a "fix" to a
>relatively unlikely or infrequent scenario.

The problem stems from a work-around for the low bandwidth of X-10 and the
original lack of scenes downloaded to dimmers and other devices.  What was a
nifty feature when first introduced is now a liability.

For X-10, one 'solution' is abandon the All ON/OFF command by moving all
devices off the affected house code. Whether one can mitigate the resulting
increased lag and decreased relibility when one wants to turn on all Lights
ON or OFF at once depends in part on how many switches one is willing to
replace with expensive X-10 switches that support scenes.

ABIK, neither the table-top or wall-mounted wired keypads or RF INSTEON
control pads have a _global_ ALL ON/OFF although one could program a key as a
global ALL instruction without having to use a PC to execute it. The ALL
commands that are on the RF pad sends instructions only to the six _sets_ of
devices programmed in the pad but those could be all the devices in the house
if one chose.

... Marc
_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org