Re: CM11A lockup

"Jeff Volp" <JeffVolp@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:awysi.16256$ax1.3122@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Back when I was beta testing the CM11A, whenever anything bizarre went on
in
> X10 land, a quick power cycle on the CM11A was always the fix.
>
> This was very good info.  Just checking for a repeated command (stuck
> button) would not catch something like this.  Also, there was no fixed
> housecode to help identify the offending device.

Now that I've got the XTBs, I've thought about putting the CM11As back on
line.  They used to be far too weak to reach every branch, but that's no
longer a problem.  Their tendency to go wild might be the limiting factor
now.  Still, having a small unit that can do macros is awfully tempting,
especially now that I've got an X-10 AV matrix switcher that requires
multiple keypresses on a Palmpad to operate.  The CM11A could reduce that to
a single button push.

> FYI, when testing the XTB, I plug my ESM1 into a X10 filter (XPPF) to get
> usable readings.

I discussed that a while back and I thought someone had said it could skew
the readings as well as interact with signal suckers in an unpredictable
way.  Besides, one of the greatest features of the Monterey is that it's
smaller than a cigarette pack and has just an AC line cord.  There's no wall
wart that may or may not fit into the test outlet easily.  I'd hate to have
to graft one onto it at this late stage.

Using the XPPF is great for bench testing but I'd hate to have to deal with
it crawling around things looking for outlets to plug into.  As it is, the
ESM1 is looking rather like a bolo with the extension cord, wall wart and
meter head. (-:  If I ever get a second ESM1 I'll calibrate it to read the
XTB's.  What I'd rather have is a slide switch on the Monterey that
attenuated the readings, just the way some multimeters have range scales.

--
Bobby G.