Re: Water heater eating X-10 signal

<graftonfot@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1177610519.821852.327210@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Apr 25, 9:00 pm, "Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > <grafton...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> >
> > <stuff snipped>
> >
> > > But what puzzles me is that, in terms of signal strength displayed on
> > > the ESM-1, there's no difference when the water heater breaker is open
> > > vs. closed, in spite of the fact that closing that breaker definitely
> > > causes loss of control of some of my X-10 devices (particularly, my
> > > front yard lighting.)
> >
> > I might have missed it, but where did you meter from?  I'd rerun the
tests
> > with the ESM1 located where the problems occur so that you can see what
> > effect the above combinations have at the devices giving you trouble.
> >
> > --
> > Bobby G.
>
> Hi, and thanks for your reply.
>
> I used alligator-clip-leads to connect the ESM1 meter to the phase/
> neutral buses in my main panel.
>
> My front yard lights are controlled by a WS467 wall switch.  Were you
> suggesting connecting the ESM1 at the site of the wall switch?

Do you know if there are any outlets on that run?  I would try to get the
meter as close to the actual problem load (as opposed to the problem source)
as possible.  My guess is that somehow, the water heater wiring is shunting
the X-10 signal to ground somewhere.  It sounds like whenever that circuit
is active, whether drawing large amounts of power or not, it reliably
"steps" on your porch light signal.

What brand/model of water heater is this?  Maybe the documentation can shed
some light on what's happening.

--
Bobby G.