Re: Water heater eating X-10 signal

graftonfot@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>On Apr 25, 1:01 am, "Jeff Volp" <JeffV...@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>> What about the thermostat?  Unless the heater element switches on, turning
>> on the circuit breaker would have little or no effect.
>>
>I'm fairly certain that the element(s) are not in-circuit when I close
>the breaker and lose control of the lights.  I know that sounds
>crazy.  I'm going to try to confirm this somehow.
>
>I'm considering trying your X-10 signal booster at this point.  But
>I'd sure like to find out what is really going on.
>
>Appreciate your suggestions, thanks.

If X-10 is affected only when the elements are active, it suggests the
out-of-phase feed condition described by Phil Kingery and suspected (I
think) by Jeff, Dan and myself.

If X-10 is affected whenever the breaker is on regardless of the state of
the elements, it suggests something unusual in the water heater control unit
or in the manner in which it's wired.

I would want to understand it before trying Jeff's device.