Re: Water heater eating X-10 signal

On Apr 25, 1:01 am, "Jeff Volp" <JeffV...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> <grafton...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> > I find my measurement results a bit confusing.
>
> > In my breaker panel I have a Leviton HCA02-10E coupler/repeater.  It's
> > wired via an existing 2-pole 30A breaker feeding a dryer, and was part
> > of my working configuration before this problem started.
>
> > To do some measurements, I wrote a small HomeSeer script consisting of
> > a loop which sends "B1" "ON", waits 3 seconds, sends "B1" "OFF", waits
> > another 3 seconds, then repeats.
>
> > With this script running I measured signal levels in the breaker panel
> > using an ESM-1 connected via alligator clip leads.
>
> > Here are my (somewhat puzzling) results.  I've arbitrarily labeled the
> > phases "A" and "B", and expressed the observed signal strengths in
> > terms of number of bars lit on the ESM-1:
>
> > Condition: HCA02 breaker OFF, water heater breaker OFF
> >    Phase A: approx 1.5 bars
> >    Phase B: 0 bars
>
> > Condition HCA02 breaker OFF, water heater breaker ON
> >    Phase A: approx 1.5 bars
> >    Phase B: 0 bars
>
> > Condition HCA02 breaker ON, water heater breaker OFF
> >    Phase A: 5 bars
> >    Phase B: 4 bars
>
> > Condition HCA02 breaker ON, water heater breaker ON
> >    Phase A: 5 bars
> >    Phase B: 4 bars
>
> > Apparently the HCA02 is performing its repeater function quite well.
> > But what's puzzling is that with the coupler in-circuit, closing the
> > breaker for the water heater apparently has no visible effect on the
> > signal coupling as shown by the ESM-1 at the breaker panel, even
> > though I've repeatedly confirmed that it debilitates my control of my
> > front yard lighting.
>
> > Shouldn't I expect to see a big drop in Phase B signal with the water
> > heater circuit connected?
>
> What about the thermostat?  Unless the heater element switches on, turning
> on the circuit breaker would have little or no effect.
>
> Jeff

I'm fairly certain that the element(s) are not in-circuit when I close
the breaker and lose control of the lights.  I know that sounds
crazy.  I'm going to try to confirm this somehow.

I'm considering trying your X-10 signal booster at this point.  But
I'd sure like to find out what is really going on.

Appreciate your suggestions, thanks.