Re: arc fault breaker with x-10 problem

AFCIs do some rather sophisticated analysis in order to distinguish "working
arcs" (e.g. motors, switches making/breaking) from arcs due to wiring
defects. One of the things they look for are certain frequencies. If your
fluorescents have electronic ballasts with switch mode power supplies, they
might be putting noise on the line at frequencies which the AFCIs interpret
as arcing. The following page gives a brief description of the arc signature
AFCIs look for.

     http://www.iaei.org/subscriber/magazine/00_d/gregory.htm

Try removing the fluorescents from the mix. If that cures the problem, it
may (or may not) be possible to add filters like others find necessary to
get X-10 to work with CFLs. Whether such filters might defeat the purpose of
the AFCIs is another question - one I cannot answer but think merits further
exploration.

AFCIs have been required for bedrooms (in new construction) for a few years
so I would think there would be numerous reports if they commonly interfered
with or were themselves interfered with by X-10. CFLs would be my "usual
suspect".