Questions about Smartlinc 3-way Companion (Slave) Switches

Does anyone know how these things work?  Smarthome has discontinued the
2382W but I have some 1135W switches I am trying to get to work with some
23885W relay switches.

I am trying to replace two manual 3-way switches controlling a couple of
floodlights in a hall.  I am using the relay switch because I have replaced
the bulbs with flourescents.  I am able to control the load properly with
the 23885W but have been unsuccessful in getting the 1135W working with it.
The manual for the 2384W (http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/2384.pdf) refers
to the 1135W so I figured it would work with the 23885W as well.

As I said, the relay switch is controlling the load fine by itself, but I
need a switch at the other end of the hall as well.  I have tried two
different 1135W companion switches and neither one will operate the load via
the 23885W.  The black wire of the 1135W is connected is to 120V, grey
(there is no white wire) to neutral, and yellow is connected via a runner
back to the yellow wire on the 23885W.  Here is what I am seeing.

1) The nightlight LED (at the top of the switch) does not light on the
1135W, whether or not the yellow wire is connected.  Is this right, or
should this LED be lit whenever power is connected?

2) What kind of signal is sent out via the yellow wire?  Is it a DC level or
a pulse, or something else completely different.  What should I look for?

3) Is there something I can do to the yellow wire of the 23885W to make sure
that the companion switch connection to it is operational?

Any other troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated.  TIA.