Re: Surge protection for 4-20mA sensors and data logger?

If you want to protect the datalogger and the sensor then you will need
protection at both ends. Just using diodes will not give you sufficient
protection, you will need gas discharge tubes as well.

If you want to protect the sensor and the electronics are not earthed, a
parallel connected device will be OK but for the datalogger you will
better with a series connected device, this will give you more
protection and react quicker.

Any true industrial product will not introduce any errors into your
signal, especially  as you are using 4/20mA signals rather than voltage

Steve
www.mtlsurge.com