Re: X10 and modified sine wave inverters

DLC <dlc@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>I have a small solar system for my weekend cabin that uses a modified
>sine wave inverter.
>
>I want to install a light for the outhouse that is located about 100
>feet from the cabin and I would like to be able to control the light
>from the cabin and the outhouse.  X10 would be adequate if it will work
>with the inverter.
>
>Has anyone experience or opinions about this?
>
>Thanks,
>
>DLC

This page suggests it will not work...

     http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Pure_Sine_Wave_Inverters

How do you plan to send the commands? All of the RF transceivers and manual
controllers (e.g. mini/maxi-Controller) send on all three phases so they
will likely fail for the reasons implied on the cited page. I suspect a
transmitter that sends only on one phase might work (if the duration of the
positive square wave is > 1ms) but the only transmitters that send on one
phase are PC interfaces made by Smarthome (e.g. 1132B).

Your best bet would be direct RF control. GE's Smarthome line is inexpensive
but hard to find. 100' line-of-sight is probably OK.

     http://www.dimango.com/sa-ge-smart-home.htm

http://davehouston.net