Re: DST change and home auto...

Lewis Gardner wrote:
> Dan Lanciani wrote:
>> In article <46112082$1_1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>> lgardner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Lewis Gardner) writes:
>>
>> | I manage several networks running mostly XP pro all syncing to local
>> | Linux servers running NTP. The problem is that M$ in their wisdom |
>> allowed machines syncing to a LOCAL time server to calculate DST
>> offsets | at the machine level. This is madness.
>>
>> What else could they do?  Are you suggesting that there is some way to
>> get timezone information from an NTP server (local or otherwise)?
>
> Not exactly.
>
> My feeling is that if you specify a machine as the timeserver on the
> subnet (especially a private IP range) then the client machines should
> use the time they receive without adjustment. In most cases this is what
> the network admin needs. Letting the local machines "fiddle" with
> timezones and DST adjustments causes more problems than it solves.

NTP, IIRC, uses GMT, and DST/TZ is specific to the "endpoint".  That's
why I can hit a time server two zones away and have my machines display
the correct local time..  If you look at the NTP specs, I'd bet you see
that time is always GMT/UT.  Imagine if someone did a NTP server that
adjusted for "local" time and the client assumed GMT/UT.  Your coffee
would start when you just went to bed with a HA system!

I do have a local NTP server on my net that syncs with a real time
server.  Other local boxes sync with the local server, but only to
reduce unneeded external traffic.

I'm in MT, and it's MST 12 months a year (we don't do DST in AZ)..