Re: DST change and home auto...

Dan Lanciani wrote:
> In article <46112082$1_1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, lgardner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Lewis Gardner) writes:
>
> | I manage several networks running mostly XP pro all syncing to local
> | Linux servers running NTP. The problem is that M$ in their wisdom
> | allowed machines syncing to a LOCAL time server to calculate DST offsets
> | at the machine level. This is madness.
>
> What else could they do?  Are you suggesting that there is some way to
> get timezone information from an NTP server (local or otherwise)?

Not exactly.

My feeling is that if you specify a machine as the timeserver on the
subnet (especially a private IP range) then the client machines should
use the time they receive without adjustment. In most cases this is what
the network admin needs. Letting the local machines "fiddle" with
timezones and DST adjustments causes more problems than it solves.