Re: Using the Sewer Vent for Cable or Cat5e Run?

Todd H. wrote:
> Keith Williams <krw@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > > Data rate and security are two reasons copper isn't dead.
> >
> > Neither one is a big deal for 99.44% of home systems, though I see
> > a lot of open networks around.  I have mine configured for
> > encryption, only listen to my laptops' MACs, and doesn't broadcast
> > its SSID.
>
> And if you're using WEP, someone can break all that in minutes.  MAC's
> can be sniffed and cloned simply with passive sniffers, SSID is
> included in every packet sent across the air even if the access point
> doesn't beacon.  If you're using WPA-PSK and aren't using a very
> complex passphrase, that too can be cracked using freely available
> dictionary attack tools.  At least you're not among the open network
> drones though--kuds on that.
>
> > 54Mbps is faster than my cable modem.  Good 'nuff.
>
> For you and your websurfing use.  FWIW, I'm willing to be you're not
> getting anywhere near 54Mbps from upstairs to downstairs.
>
> Start pushing video or a large volume of photos across to a network
> drive on a home network like many media creators do, or appreciate how
> trivially most encryption can be broken if you work with sensitive
> data in a home business, the case for copper becomes even more
> compelling.
>
> Wireless: just because you can doesn't mean you should.
>
> In short, I wouldn't begrudge anyone wanting to run cat5 cable.
>
> Best Regards,
> --
> Todd H.
> http://www.toddh.net/

I agree, copper is not dead.  There's a time and a place for it.  But
there is also a time and a place for wireless.  I run wire to 2
computers and wireless to a third (and the kid's PSP).

If the OP is working from home and has sensitive data, wire's probably
a good idea.  Also if he's downloading movies and playing games.  But
if it's just "check your email" or sending things to a printer,
wireless is probably okay.

To some extent is also depends of where he lives.  I live in a small,
rural community and a neighbor just put in a wireless network.  Until
then, there was never another wireless network in the area and little
chance anyone would be trying to crack mine (but I still use security).
 If the OP is in the middle of a city near a university, it's a whole
other story.

I was just curious about it and thought I would suggest another option
that might work or it might not.