Re: LED Security camera heat question

Thanks for the reply.

The cameras themselves state:
500mA, 12V
<= 680 mW

The power adapters are: 12V, 1Amp
I tested the output and they are around 12.8 V or so on output.

I found a 500mA, 12V adapter and popped it in (a cheap one mind you,
which had to be set at 9V to generate 12.4 V).  Sure enough, it ran
warm, but not scalding hot.
I'm looking at the cameras, and thinking something is odd.  My
knowledge of electricity is minimal, but it seems to me that 500mA *
12V = 6 Watts, which is an insane amount of power for such a tiny
camera.  It is, afterall, a 30 LED CMOS camera.

So I'm thinking perhaps the voltage is wrong?