Re: Need speed switch for DIY funicular/hillside elevator

Look here also for other general ideas...

     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamometer

One possibility would be a small air compressor that would be driven by the
spool shaft with a discharge to the atmosphere through a fixed orifice. At
slow speed there would be little resistance but as the speed increases the
resistance increases, slowing the spool. You want to be sure that everything
is sized to be safe - you don't want the compressor or any associated pipes
to burst. You might even let the discharge drive a whistle to warm anyone
nearby.

http://www.davehouston.net