Re: Home Automation Qualifications...

Robert L Bass wrote:

<snip>

The definition/classifications for each contractor are listed here:

http://www.cslb.ca.gov/licensing/classifications.asp

> Here's a link to a page on California's Department of Consumer Affairs website.  The page has access to info pertinent to
> alarmcompany licensing.  Since the knowledge and experience requirements for alarm installers are less than those for electricians,
> as a new HA aspirant you may want to go that route.
> http://www.cslb.ca.gov/contractors/default.asp

First off, this link does not take him to the Bureau of Security and
Investigative Services (BSIS), which regulates alarm companies and
employees.  That link is:

http://www.dca.ca.gov/bsis/alarm.htm

Secondly, the OP is going to require either a C-10 (Electrical) or C-7
(Low Voltage Systems) Contractor's License.  Alarm company licensing
(through the BSIS) will not allow him to work on HA systems (which you
cannot consider a "Burglar Alarm", although the line between the two is
getting "blurry") and will not exempt him from obtaining either the C-7
or C-10 contractor classification.  A "Alarm Company Operator" license
is very restrictive, and won't allow you to install CCTV, or Access
Control (two elements that are often seen in HA systems).  Once again
you "step" in with advice that is your idea of a "good answer" but is
really only "half baked".

To take this a bit further, a company with a C-7 "low voltage" ticket
cannot install an Elk M-1 because it is listed burglar alarm equipment
(even if it's only using  home automation components).  A company with a
C-7 low voltage ticket can install access control, communication, and
cctv equipment, but can't install a burglar alarm or fire alarm system.

To avoid the confusion that will result from this post (when Bass starts
"justifying" and "defending" his response in his usual inimitable
fashion), the OP should contact:

Contractors State License Board
9821 Business Park Drive
Sacramento, CA 95827
(916) 255-3900
Toll-free (800) 321-2752

They will essentially tell him exactly what I've just related.