Re: Whole house generators (slightly OT)

> Getting even farther off topic, when you
> redo the tile roof, consider using the
> special expansion foam adhesive to
> apply as opposed to nails or clips. It's
> less expensive and a full paddy of
> adhesive gives you Cat 5 Hurricane
> resistance. The adhesive paddy fills the
> gap under the tile so there's no chance
> of uplift...

Great.  I was unaware that this even existed.  I'll bring it up with the contractors and ask for them to include it in their bids.

Unfortunately, my home was built before the "Andrew" construction codes came into play in Florida.  Twelve foot high sliding glass
walls make up one or more sides of almost every room in the house.  As a result, the house is quite vulnerable to winds in excess of
category two.  If we ever got hit with a Charley, much less a Katrina class storm, damage would be extensve.

As soon as we can afford it I plan to upgrade all of the sliders and windows with hurricane proof replacements.  I don't want
shutters for two reasons.  First, they would ruin the appearance of the home.  Second, we are sometimes out of the country for
months at a time.  If a storm came up while we were away the shutters might never be deployed.  Motorized shutters with remote
control are an option but they look awful even when they're stowed.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics