Re: Whole house generators (slightly OT)

> I'm basing the size on the fact that I have 200 amp service (and use every bit of it) now although I wouldn't need to run all the
> AC units in an emergency...

Hmm.  I think I was also confusing your home with Bob Green's palace.  Who is in TX and who is in HA???  :^)

You probably only need 15-20 kW.  My 10-room home with attached office ran well in southern New England (read: "ice and snow") using
only 8 kW.  The only major load we didn't power from the genset was the stove.

When I get around to installing a genset on the current hovel, it will probably be in the 20-25 kW range.  That should handle both
A/C handlers, the pool/spa, lighting and appliances.  Again, I won't bother powering the electric range.  With a gas BBQ and a
couple of microwave ovens I don't need it during a power outage.  Fortunately, outages in Sarasota rarely last more than a few days.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics