Re: Insteon open source WAS: Something else

Hello Marc,

>>BTW, in the days when I had to use GPIB there were ways to get around HP
>>and NI's high prices. I forgot the name of the company (Plug-In or
>>something similar, out of Taiwan) that sold PC-mount HPIB interfaces.
>
> I used some Ziatech ISA IEEE-488 ca 1987. So there have been lower-priced
> work-arounds from the git-go. The hassle was the drivers which allowed
> software vendors to dictate the interface hardware.
>

>>NI's high prices
>

> FWIW, they are almost _giving_ away ISA DAQ hardware on eBay, with PCI prices
> not much higher. 16-input, 16-bit resolution ISA ADC/DAC/DIO  and
> 96-input/output DIO PCI boards for $50, and so on.

Thanks for the hint. That sure is a better deal than a Labjack although
those are quite universal and useful. Different league though.

> One feller had about fifteen like-new National Instruments 64-input ADC (+
> DIO + DAC) that went without any takers at $40. He was begging for offers.
> Plenty of single-board ISA and PCI computers (SBC's) usually too.
>
> I'll be having a porch sale soon at www.ECOntrol.org to clean out the junk
> box/room.

Let us know when that happens.

Nice house. I really like that winter picture. My grandmother in Germany
wouldn't have considered 1821 to be that long ago. Her house (still
there) is a lot older. The church where we got married was dedicated in
1019 but rebuilt several times because of lots of wars, fires and
lightning hits. But even that ain't old. There are lots of building from
the Romans still intact or even in use. The ones I saw were mostly about
1800 years old. These guys sure knew how to do a top quality job.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com