Re: Insteon open source WAS: Something else

On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 20:41:47 GMT, Joerg
<notthisjoergsch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<fWzUg.12968$7I1.4075@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>BTW, in the days when I had to use GPIB there were ways to get around HP
>and NI's high prices. I forgot the name of the company (Plug-In or
>something similar, out of Taiwan) that sold PC-mount HPIB interfaces.

I used some Ziatech ISA IEEE-488 ca 1987. So there have been lower-priced
work-arounds from the git-go. The hassle was the drivers which allowed
software vendors to dictate the interface hardware.

> NI's high prices

FWIW, they are almost _giving_ away ISA DAQ hardware on eBay, with PCI prices
not much higher. 16-input, 16-bit resolution ISA ADC/DAC/DIO  and
96-input/output DIO PCI boards for $50, and so on.

One feller had about fifteen like-new National Instruments 64-input ADC (+
DIO + DAC) that went without any takers at $40. He was begging for offers.
Plenty of single-board ISA and PCI computers (SBC's) usually too.

I'll be having a porch sale soon at www.ECOntrol.org to clean out the junk
box/room.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult