Re: Strange: X-10 outlets & LED Holiday Lights

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 19:42:49 +0000, Si Ballenger wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 17:11:39 +0000 (UTC), Eric
> <ericw2000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>I have two Leviton 6227W outlets outside my house which have been used for
>>years to operate our holiday lights. Yesterday I put up new lights, those
>>LED holiday lights instead of our usual C7 lights. Everything works fine so
>>far.
>>
>>When I came home, the outlets have switched off from the timer, and the LED
>>lights continue to glow faintly, maybe 10% of their full brightness. When I
>>unplug the lights, they go out completely. When I plug them back in the
>>relay trips and the come on full, as they're supposed to.
>>
>>Is still low voltage present to operate the relay, or did I wire these
>>incorrectly?
>
> You probably need to use an x10 appliance controller instead of a
> lamp controller (which I think always passes a small amount of
> current).

The X10 AM486 Appliance Module also has local control and a sense
current which will cause LEDs to glow dimly.  Directions have been provided
by some users on the X10 Forum for relatively simple surgery on relatively
recent module circuitry to eliminate the sense current. I don't recall
seeing anything about Leviton outlets, but the OP can try a search on
http://www.x10community.com/forums

Ido Bartana's website (http://www.geocities.com/ido_bartana/) has a lot of
info on module modifications, however I understand that much of the
circuit information is for older versions of the module circuit boards.