Re: CM15A & receiving dim

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 11:53:55 GMT, Dave Houston wrote:
> Neil Cherry <njc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>I'm not sure if anyone has resolved this but I'm trying to decode
>>simple dim commands being sent from the ti103 and received by the
>>CM15A. If I send 1 DIM ($>28001N01ND40ND40F8# or N1 NDIM - note these
>>are continous dims for a single command) I see:
>>
>>5a020086
>>5a03020b84
>>
>>As far as I can tell (no X10 doc still) the first line is 5A (received
>>from the power line) 02 (2 bytes follow) 00 (it's an address) and 86
>>(X10 address - N1). The second line is 5A (power line), 03 (3 bytes
>>follow), 02 (either 2 more bytes of an ID for DIM/BRIGHT), 0B (Dim % -
>>still need to figure out the math) and 84 (NDIM).
>>
>>I've also sent multiple dims:
>>
>>1 DIM = 5a03020b84
>>2 DIM = 5a03020b84
>>3 DIM = 5a03021684
>>4 DIM = 5a03022184
>>5 DIM = 5a03022c84
>>
>>Not sure what the math is on these. I'm guessing value/256 * 100 but
>>that's just a guess. Any ideas?
>
> It depends on the receiver (and manufacturer) but I worked out the math for
> an LM465 using a 100W lamp and my Kill A Watt meter. See...
>
>      http://davehouston.net/micro-dim.htm
>
> See the CM11A documentation for an explanation of the bytes from the CM15A.
> The third byte (02 in all but your first example) is a bit map that
> indicates which of the following bytes are addresses and which are
> functions.

Dang, you solve that one! This is good, so it goes:

5a - A 'What' (RF, Power Line, Macro, ACK, etc)
03 - Byte count
02 - ID (00 X10 Addr, 01 X10 Command, 02 X10 Dim/Bright, 08 Extended code?)
0b - reported intensity of Dim/Bright
84 - House Code/Function code

> Note that the CM11A documentation says 22 DIMs equals 100% but the lamp
> module never goes to 100%. The maximum is 96%. There's no measureable
> difference between 21 & 22 contiguous steps using both the Kill A Watt and a
> true RMS voltmeter.

I saw the 210 in the CM11A documentation. With the TI103 22 continuous
dims reports back 0xD2 intensity as does 24 dims.

> Earlier versions of the CM11A firmware output after each dim/bright command
> rather than sending the cumulative total. I haven't confirmed this but I
> think there was no way to accurately estimate the actual level because you
> couldn't tell whether the dim/brights were contiguous.

I've not seen anything but cumulative with the CM15A. I don't really
need accurate just a general 'what it means'. This is so Mr. House can
use the CM15A.

Dave thanks this goes a long way towards getting the CM15A up and
running with Mr. House. Next up is translating:

5a0508313f0667

The CM11A and Mr. House reports it as brighten A 1 to 100% (I think
it's a preset bright command). I have to sit down and decode the
middle 2 bytes. Here's what I've got so far:

5A - Power Lince
05 - 5 bytes
08 - Extended
31 - ASCII 1
3f -
06 -
67 - HC = A FC = Extended code

I'll have to sit down with the xtc797 doc to see if I can decode
this.

Thanks!

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx