Re: Newbie to Home Automation - Need Help

<geemail.email@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<snip>
> Ethernet Cabling
> 1.  I have a high speed connection via Brighthouse and would like to
> make it accessible via every room in the house.

I'm not an automation expert - but I'm a computer/software/networks expert..
so I will comment on your last item!

When you say _every_ room in the house... are you planning on having
PC's/terminals in every room?
If not, then I'd suggest wireless.  Otherwise, I'd suggest wiring with Cat5
or Cat6 cable (Cat6 to handle future upgrades to gigabit network speeds -
this of course depends on the amount of traffic going between
PC's/terminals - it'll probably be a while before we see gigabit internet
connections!!)
I know our systems at work have phone and ethernet on separate networks -
I'm sure someone will give you an accurate answer as to why - my guess is
that phone equipment uses up a lot of bandwidth?!  (Basing that on my work
system - where we have 200 people and about 10 external lines!!)
The Grim Reaper