Re: TRIAC dimmer control spreadsheet; was Re: Controlling Holiday Lights

> In dimming lights in a home, theater, etc.,
> doesn't the human's non linear response
> to light intensity need to be considered?

If you were preprogramming the loads for power usage, yes.  In real life situations the user simply dims each light to whatever
level he likes and then saves the setting as a scene.

I've worked with a number of automated lighting controllers over the years.  Most allow you to preset all manner of scenes,
cross-fades, color selections, etc.  Typically, the lighting designer will preset most of the scenes with specific luminaires at
approximate levels.  Then the LD goes back through the scenes, fine tuning each light by eye until the scenes are as desired.  It's
simpler for a home theater because there are less lamps and less variables but the process is similar.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics