Re: Want to detect small nocturnal animal (armadillo)

<david.f.jenkins@xxxxxxx> wrote in message

> We are beset with marauding armadillos that are ruinous to our lawn and
> flower gardens.  I would like to install wireless motion sensors to
> catch them as they root along the side of our house.  I have a 20'
> section of wall that they favor on their nightly prowls.
>
> I have seen the Optex TD-10, and wondered if you all think it would be
> a satisfactory device for sounding an alarm in the house when Mr.
> Armadillo strolls by?

I thought that was a model designed to be specifically *immune* to pets.  In
that case, you'd probably want to remove all baffling and set the unit to
high sensitivity.  I'll bet that the 'dillos make poor PIR targets because
of their thick (and probably relatively "cool") hide.   I'd use an X-10
Hawkeye because I *know* they can spot birds and squirrels - even when you
don't want them to. :-(

> Also, I am totally confused by the TD-10
> directions as to how to aim the device: fan versus long-range?
> Horizontal versus aiming down the side of he building?  How to figure
> out what the "illuminated" area will be?  (I know it's not really
> illuminated, but you know what I mean...)  The more I read the manual,
> the more confuseder I get.

The instructions, IIRC, are to create a "pet alley" using baffles inside the
two different types of reflectors supplies.  To that end, the instructions
will then tell you exactly how NOT to spot small animals. You have to
basically do the opposite of what they recommend.

You might consider a light beam detector that would cross the walkway about
2" up and report each time the beam was broken, ostensibly from a waddling
armadillo.

> Would appreciate the wisdom of this group to help me regain control
> over our property - thanks.

Make sure you get the mounting bracket if you order one the Optex.  Mine,
from Worthington, didn't have it.  :-(

If you're going to use the Optex, mount it low, off to the side, like a
patio light so that the sensor pattern is a fan spread out over the walkway
from the side.  Again, I use a door chime, a TM751 and an external EagleEye
sensor set to work only at night.  You can move the EE around easily until
you find the best pattern but I've found having the target walk across the
sensor path rather than towards or away from it to be the best.

--
Bobby G.