Re: Question about CCTV and VGA LCD

<royalrster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1147338670.293464.241610@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hello,
> I'm new to using Groups and I'm also legally blind.   I got a CCTV Low
> Vision Magnifier without a monitor, very cheap.  I thought I would use
> it with the VGA LCD panel I use with a laptop.  Whn it came it has a 9
> pin output, I believe that's RS-232, while the panel has 15 pin input.
> I found a 15 pin to 9 pin cable in junk but it doesn't work.

We need to know more about the output of the camera.  Got a model number or
anything specific?

Some of these devices are 420 or 480 line B&W composite and are meant for
hi-rez monitors like those used for CCTV surveillance.  Could be NTSC, could
be SECAM - could be anything.  Not likely you'll be able to hook it to your
monitor *directly* either cheaply or easily.

A PVR video card like the Leadtek with a composite input would probably be
your cheapest solution, but you would need an empty PCI slot and a machine
with a decent video card.  I've seen such cards new for $40.  In your case,
with a laptop, you'd need a free USB port and USB video digitizer and
they're about $70+.

[Unrelated rant: It would be nice if modern DVD players had VGA outputs so
that people could use their LCD monitors as hi-rez viewers, but Senator
Hollywood and friends probably passed a law against it.]

--
Bobby G.