non x10 systems

Im looking for a decent home automation system...lighting and
appliance control...but dont want to go the x10 route.  Any
suggestions.... I have electrical/electronics background and some basic
programming experience....

Id like something with a nice gui...pc based

It seems that all the links I look at seem to be x10 based or based on
using the house wiring...and I dont want that.