Re: Insteon or Zwave?

> I'm installing a M1G in my new (rebuilt) home now.  I have been
tinkering with it on the bench for about a month and feel the 500 rules
are going to be a bit short for HA.  When you consider that every "text
message" definition and every AND in a rule is counted a a rule - you
run out quickly.  I think I'll still be using my Homevision to
supplement the shortcomings of the M1G.

It depends on what you want it to do and how much you can offload.
Interfacing with a PC-based HA solution your options will be broader.  I'd
make sure that anything mission critical (security and HVAC, for example) is
directly on the ELK-M1G.

> I'll be very interested to hear about your experiences with z-wave.  My
installation is relatively simple, and so I'm putting back a bunch of
my PCS dimmers and using Lamplincs for table lamps.  Being on my own
power company transformer I always enjoyed 99+% reliability with x10.

Well, I originally thought I'd start with the security sensors and then move
on to HVAC before lighting and finally do the pool controls.  However, a
stray surge at the current pool controller has changed my plans for me.
Intermatic has a Z-Wave pool controller though I don't know if it's in
production yet.  If not, I'll just get something with a serial connection
and pull some cable.

> The built-in temp sensors in the M1 keypads are a nice touch....too bad
the keypads can't talk as well.  All in all the M1G looks like a winner.

You can install small, flush-mount speakers in the wall or ceiling near the
keypads.  These can perform double-duty using ELK's 2-way voice system if
you like.