Re: Cell phone as home phone

> Anyone out there using cell phones instead of traditional land lines for
> home use?
>
> Is there a phone that can be dropped into a cradle that would then let
> something similar to standard phones be used around the house or are you
> stuck with just one phone?

We've gone a different route.  I've switched my business phone service to
VoIP.  In addition to standard VoIP desk sets throughout my homes (one in
Florida and one in Brazil), I'm ordering wireless VoIP phones.  These
connect to wired base units in each of four offices.  They drop into the
base unit or remote chargers when not in use.

One model we're considering also has a WiFi connection which will allow me
to make and receive calls, transfer to other stations, etc., from any
wireless hot spot in the world.  Since we often spend several hours at a
time in airport lounges, the WiFi VoIP phones will allow me to stay in touch
with customers, vendors and co-workers.  There are news reports that
airlines will deploy in-flight WiFi service in the next few years.

Although we've had problems with our current auto-attendant provider (whom
we will replace within the next few days), overall I've been very pleased
with VoIP service.  It allows me to maintain inter-office and external
communications at home and in Brazil in a manner that is simply not possible
using traditional phone service.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass